There are two ways to view an opportunity to move to a new location, new position. The glass is half-full, or, consider taking a bye on the opportunity.
Relocation can be a huge value-add, here is a “half-full” summary:
- Experience adapting to a new location
- Gain new perspectives
- Learn a new job
- Apply your experience in a new context
- Experience new leadership
- Broaden your business acumen
- Enrich your career
- International Assignment — Understanding the business in a global dimension
- Bottom Line: You will differentiate yourself from the pack if you take the move and make a success of it! If it is an international opportunity it adds exponential value.
Note: This may go without saying — moving kids can be tough. Like adults, the older they are their flexibility can wane for a number of reasons. Do some homework if you are considering moving kids, teens, or young adults.