You can’t pick your boss (usually)… some keys to success:
- Make him/her your partner through accomplishment and professional behavior
- Be comprehensive, data driven, flexible, creative, a planner, find solutions.
- Keep your accomplishments in front of your boss. Written monthly or quarterly summaries will work…. also invaluable for the boss’s use and performance reviews and a database for updating CV’s
- Sponsor time to talk about your career.
- Be the bright spot in your boss’s work life, there are many who are not
If you have a miserable boss:
- Find the value in your work
- Make yourself valuable to other departments – build your reputation across the organization, through professional organizations, and peers in other organizations
- If you decide to make a change… consider… “am I running from, or to” “To” is good!
***** S&E *****