For all too long now it has been all about the parties. Who will control the house, who will control the senate, conservatives, liberals, and not about the country.
It is internationally embarrassing, irresponsible, petty, corrupt, controlled by special interests, and just plain disgusting. It is about power, about raising money to achieve it, and then holding onto it once you’ve gotten it.
The change we need — leadership: integrity, honesty, issue focused, a government the represents the people, not political parties and financial contributors.
The situation might be corrected when:
- It is illegal for special interests groups and lobbyists to fund / contribute to campaigns
- Term-limits apply to all elected congressional representatives and senators
- Washington DC officials have the same health care plan and other benefits as any citizen
- The federal budget is managed like citizens manage their household budget
- Intense scrutiny of money that is sent, donated, given away to other countries
- A positive (versus adversarial) focus on building an international economy and trade
- Smaller government
The dilemma is that the very people who “benefit” from the corruption, who have put themselves first, instead of their country, are the very people who have to change it.
How, when, is it all going to change? And, who will change it?
The most abused phrase used in Washington, DC is “in the best interest of my constituents”.
***** S&E *****