Chris worked in HR. He told me at times managers would stop in to discuss various issues and occasionally as a side note would mention they were so busy they just couldn’t get all their vacation in, in the year.
He said his advice on the vacation problem might include:
- Look at your department’s workload and assess how the work is delegated.
- Are you doing the work of others; over managing?
- Do you have the right talent for the work?
- Is your department leveraging the support of other departments.
- Have your employees map / flow chart the work; look for inefficiencies and process improvement
- Make an argument for additional employees; make sure the case is analytical, data driven. Item 5 above might help.
- Work-life balance can be a real issue; look for solutions. Ask for help.
And he always would remind the manager, “the company will never come to you and suggest you take some vacation”.
***** S&E *****